2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for serving
6 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup chopped red onion (1/4 inch diced)
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb penne pasta
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 oz milk
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water (salted) to a boil for the penne.
2. Place the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large saucepan, add the garlic and over low heat stir the garlic until it begins to brown.
3. Add the onion, tomato, salt, and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer very gently for about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the cream and milk and simmer for one more minute.
5. While the sauce is simmering, add the penne to the boiling water and cook until just shy of al dente.
6. Reserve 1 cup pasta water and then drain the penne.
7. Combine the penne to the saucepan and simmer until the penne is al dente, adding a little of the pasta cooking water if the mixture is dry.
8. Stir in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, along with the basil and black pepper.
9. To serve, drizzle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.