4 oz Wild rice Rinsed
12 oz Water
4 oz Butter Divide in half
3 oz Onions Chopped
3 oz Carrots Brunoise (1/8×1/8×1/8)
2 oz Flour
36 oz Chicken Stock Hot
8 oz Mushrooms Sliced
12 oz Milk Hot
to taste Salt
to taste White pepper
3 oz Heavy cream
2 oz Parsley Chopped
1. Place rice and water in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until rice is cooked.
2. In a sauce pan, melt 2 ounces of butter over low to medium heat, add onions and carrots to the pan and sweat the vegetables until onions turn soft and translucent.
3. Put flour into the above mixture and whisk together to make a roux. Continue cooking while stirring contents for a few minutes. Do not let roux mixture brown.
4. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, while using the whisk to combine the stock with the roux to create a velvety texture. Once smooth, bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the stock thickens.
5. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and the soup has no flour taste.
6. Skim off the foam from the top of the soup.
7. While soup simmers, melt remaining butter (2 oz) in a sauté pan and sauté the mushrooms.
8. Add the sautéed mushrooms to the soup.
9. Heat the milk and pour into the soup.
10. Place cooked wild rice into the soup.
11. Return to a simmer and add salt and white pepper
12. Stir in hot cream, garnish with parsley for each individual serving.