Archive

Posts Tagged ‘nc’

Poll: Two-Time Dem Loser Best Hope For NC Gubernatorial Race?

January 31st, 2012 No comments

Erskine Bowles

Embattled North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue has recently announced her decision not to pursue a second term as governor.  The latest statewide polling data indicate that Erskine Bowles,  is looked upon as “by far the strongest Democratic candidate” to run against Republican Pat McCrory, a former mayor of Charlotte.  In the 2008 race against Purdue, McCrory lost his bid for governor by a 50-46 margin.

Bowles, an investment banker  who was former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff,  ran two unsuccessful bids for U.S. Senate against Elizabeth Dole in 2002 and Richard Burr in 2004.   Bowles also served as  Co-Chair of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform which failed to bring Obama’s “Super Committee” to a national debt reduction agreement.

I find it amusing that the party that brought us the occupy movement may now offer a wealthy investment banker, with two previous failed bids for elected public office,  as their best hope to win the governorship of an important swing state. 

From the Raleigh News and Observer

Democrats pursue Bowles for governor’s race

BY ROB CHRISTENSEN

When Erskine Bowles left the presidency of the University of North Carolina last year, he ruled out a future in elective politics.

“I have empirical data that I was a terrible politician,” he said, referring to his two unsuccessful runs for U.S. Senate.

But despite Bowles’ self-assessment, Democrats launched a major lobbying effort to get him to run for governor after Gov. Bev Perdue said last week she would not run for re-election.

Bowles, say friends and associates, is seriously weighing a gubernatorial bid, but is said to be genuinely undecided. Bowles has not returned inquiries from reporters.

Until Bowles makes a decision, he has essentially frozen the field of potential Democratic candidates beyond the two who have already announced their candidacies: Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton and state Rep. Bill Faison of Orange County.

The reason Bowles, 66, a Charlotte investment banker, casts such a shadow is self-evident.

read the rest

 
Categories: News Tags: , , , ,

Occupy Durham Protesters Forced to Take Down Tents and Get Park Electricity Turned Off

October 19th, 2011 1 comment

 

What exactly does that mean, Cletus?

 

I find this hilarious.  The protesters were told they needed a permit for camping out, but they did not get one.  They also got busted for unauthorized use of city electricity which I assume was to charge their phones, computers and various other electronic gadgets.   

Who the heck did they think was going to pay for them to use the city’s electricity?  The people of Durham?  This what is wrong with these jerks.  They think someone else should do the work  so they can do what they wish.

From the News and Observer

DURHAM – A delegation from the Occupy Durham protest arrived at City Hall while the City Council was meeting Monday night. Mayor Bill Bell adjourned without giving them a hearing, but City Manager Tom Bonfield and City Attorney Patrick Baker stayed behind to meet with the group for about 20 minutes.

The protesters wanted to know what city ordinance prohibited them from pitching tents at CCB Plaza, where the demonstration began on Sunday. They said they had been informed about 4 p.m. today that the city sanitation department would remove the tents if they were not taken down by 5 p.m.

By 5 p.m. the tents were gone, but demonstrator Mary Grace said police, when asked, had not cited an ordinance.

At City Hall, Baker said the city code does not specifically ban tents at CCB Plaza, but it is standing policy of the city parks department that erecting shelters there – “camping” – is not allowed without a permit.

City Councilman Mike Woodard, who stayed to watch the exchange, said afterwards that he had told protest organizers more than a week ago that they needed to apply for the permit in advance, but they had not done so.

Baker and Bonfield said the demonstrators were welcome to remain at CCB Plaza as long as they like, but not to raise tents or other structures.

They also refused to turn on the Plaza’s electricity, which was cut off after demonstrators used it Sunday without authorization, despite a request from City Council candidate Victoria Peterson.

Read more:

Categories: News Tags: , , , ,